Hello! With less than 3 weeks to go until the start of the World Cup, it is past time I post a welcome message to the 255 of you (and counting) that joined the World Cup Pool. Thanks for signing up!
MyOfficePool.ca, or MOP for short, operates simple but fun office pools. Our regular annual pools are:
- NHL Hockey Playoffs (on now, I’m way out of it)
- NFL Football Survivor (up next, very popular)
- NFL Football Playoffs (I picked Denver each of the last two years)
- March Madness College Basketball Survivor (wild, extremely popular)
It is hard to believe it is over 9 years since MOP operated its first pool. The website is more hobby and labour of love in that time for me, and hopefully you get some extra enjoyment or small release from everyday stress playing in the pools while following these sporting events.
World Cup Pool
This year is special, because only once every four years do we get to celebrate and run a pool for the World Cup! This is our third ever World Cup Pool (2006, 2010). Welcome back to those who were with us four years ago.
The World Cup Pool is designed to keep people active and engaged by requiring players to come back each round and make their picks. That is why users only input the Group Stage picks to start. This way someone is never out of it, and therefore always has something to cheer about. I hope you like the format.
Some things to keep in mind as a pool participant:
- You can always change your picks up to the deadline. Make sure to hit submit, and you should see the picks on the results page and receive an email confirmation of your picks.
- If you haven’t joined a group that someone invited you to, then make sure to do that before the pool deadline! At the bottom of your picks page select the group, input the password if necessary, and hit submit.
- If you are logged in, then the results page automatically directs you to your group results.
- No one can see anyone else’s picks until the deadline passes, kickoff of the first game of the World Cup.
For our group admins out there:
- Use your group admin page to track your members, marking them as paid or unpaid if you are playing for stakes beyond bragging rights
- There is a new feature recently added to allow for multiple entries, but this must be turned on for your group.
- I made changes so when users go to their picks page from your group results page, it automatically defaults the group choices to your group. This should make it easier for members to join your group.
- Make sure to email all of your group members (and prospective invites) to remind them about the pool deadlines to join and submit their picks each round.
Everyone who joins the pool is in the overall pool, and I’m pleased to announce I’ve added some modest prizes to be awarded to the best of the best in the overall pool. Win the following prizes courtesy of MyOfficePool.ca*:
- 1st place overall wins $100 cash + $50 credit to a future entry fee pool
- 2nd place overall wins $50 cash + $25 credit
- 3rd place overall wins $25 credit
* Initial pool entry only. Multiple entries marked #2, #3, etc. are not eligible for these prizes.
Help and Feedback
My intention when I set up the pools is that everything is self-explanatory, but if not, let me know and I’ll help as best I can. Feedback is appreciated. Post a comment, email me and please follow us and hit me up on Facebook and Twitter.
Thanks again for joining the pool, and good luck!